DogStar Online Classes
Weaves 101 – Online Weave Pole Training Class
This class will be formatted like my “Weaves 101” class that I have done multiple times in the past at BWTC. We will be using Susan Garrett’s original 2×2 weave training method. I use this with my own dogs and with many students over the years. This will hopefully give many more teams the ability to start training weaves since I don’t have very much time to add a physical in-person class.
Class begins: Next session TBA
- A dog that is physically ready to start weave pole training.
- Access to at least two sets of 2×2 weave pole bases, meaning two bases with two poles on each base.
- Treats that you can toss that your dog will easily be able to see and find. This will obviously depend on the flooring you are working on. I like to use Charlie Bears or Goldfish crackers. Cheese cubes or something similar work great too.
- Time; this is meant to be a fairly quick training process. Short sessions multiple times per week will work best.
- Space; You don’t need much. I did most of Grape and Kepler’s initial weave training on the pavement in the alley behind our garage. And remember, we will be doing this in Feb/March.
- Video capabilities; you will need to be able to video, edit and send me short videos of your training sessions.
- Access to Facebook; we will post tips, instructions, videos, etc. on a private Facebook group. You will be able to learn from fellow classmates, see video demos, get training tips, etc.
- Dedication; this will only happen if YOU are willing to put the time/energy into training.
Session will run for at least two months. Each team will work at their own pace and can send up to three videos per week for review. I will review each video and comment to each team on any changes that might need to be made or when to proceed to the next step. We will have a Facebook group that videos, tips, etc. will be posted to.
Goal: Will be to have each team capable of weaving six straight poles by the end of the class. Some dogs may understand the concept but still need more time to develop footwork and confidence in the poles. For instance, Kepler is capable of doing six straight poles but we are spending time on six sets of slightly offset bases until he coordinates his body and his speed through the poles.
There are several options for purchasing weave bases: If you are buying new please purchase the 24” spacing. 22” bases will work, but they are not what we use in agility trials anymore.
Mad Agility Equipment –https://madagility.com/Our_Products/Weave_Poles/index.html
Max 200 – https://www.max200.com/2×2-weave-poles
You may also buy, borrow or steal from others – I can post to the email list to see if anyone is interested in selling, lending, renting or trading a set.
The cost of the class will be $100 per team. This will include lessons for each step of training, video review and feedback for up to three videos per week. Videos must be edited to one minute or under. The Facebook group will remain available for at least one month after the class ends.